Sunday, October 13, 2013

Saboten @ IMM Building

Japanese cuisine is one of the cuisine that is in my top 5 list. Tonkatsu (breaded deep fried pork cutlet) or rather anything that is fried in panko (Japanese Breadcrumb) is in my Top 3 list apart from sushi and sashimi. Saboten which is one of Japan's largest and popular Tonkatsu chain is just the perfect place for me.


 Simple and classy interior which is a great place to chill and hang out with family and friends


Off topic random moment. My brother did this super cool thing. He crumpled the paper that comes with the chopstick and create a mini stand for the chopstick to prevent it from touching the table. Isn't it cool? When I said it was cool he gave me this disappointed look and said, "what... You didn't know?.." Whatever k bro. Laughs


Every set meal here comes with Rice,  Miso Soup, Pickled Vegetable, shredded Cabbage and dessert which was Matcha (Green tea) Ice Cream. The prices for a set meal range from about $25-30 and there is free refill for Rice, Miso Soup and the shredded Cabbage. Oh my gosh?! I totally went crazy on the Cabbage because there was two Japanese salad dressing provided in this potion looking transparent glassware which are the Roasted Sesame dressing (Nude colored on the left) and Yuzu-Citrus dressing (brown coloured on the right). 



For people that eat Tonkatsu often, Tonkatsu is never the same without its Tonkatsu sauce. There is some hands on here which is we get to grind our own black and white sesame seeds that is provided to go with the sauce. Basically there are many lines in different groups of direction designed inside the bowl and by circulating the thick wooden stick, the sesame seeds will break down into smaller form. Whats the purpose of this? It is to bring out the flavor of the sesame. While grinding, there will be this fragrant and strong scent that is diffuse to the surrounding air.


Since it was a dinner with my family, we ordered a Twin Special Set ($46.00) which consist of a Breaded Pork Loin , Asparagus Cheese Roll and two Crab Cream Croquettes and Breaded Shrimps. The Breaded Pork Loin (Tonkatsu) goshhhhh! The first bite was so heavenly. There was a thin layer of the outer coating of panko which was so light and crispy, followed by the inside which was packed with a thick layer of meat. It was already so perfect but wait... Dipped in the Tonkatsu sauce with extra fragrant sesame seeds?! I am getting so excited recalling that exact sensation while typing this out. 


There was also a Saboten Special Set ($25.00) (left) and the Ebi Katsu Tenderloin Set ($26.00) (right). The Saboten Special Set consist of a Breaded Shrimp, Mini Pork Tenderloin, Half-sized Pork Loin and Crab Cream Croquette. As the name suggest, Ebi Katsu Tenderloin Set consist of a Ebi Katsu and Tenderloin. The Ebi (prawn) used here was fresh and thick with a crunch and for cheese lover, the Crab Cream Croquette was creamy and cheesy. Just a note, tenderloin and pork loin is actually different. Tenderloin is a small part of the whole Pork Loin. Tenderloin is that small part of muscle that was used for posture thus it is leaner and the most tender part. Since its just a small part, it is more pricey than Pork Loin.


A picture before I officially start my meal. 
I must say that the cabbage was very crunchy. I am pretty sure that once they shred the cabbage, they most probably soak it in cold water to retain the crunch of the cabbage.
Yes I admit I did ask for extra serving of the cabbage. Mwehehehe


After meal photo before we ask for dessert.
No picture of dessert because 
1. It was ice cream how could I risk it from melting?! 
2. I admit, my phone went out of battery and I was lazy to get the picture from my brother phone.
It was this scoop of smooth, creamy Matcha Ice Cream. So full and satisfied after everything. 

Blessed to have this meal as a treat from Godmother ^3^

Definitely worth trying out this inexpensive great Tonkatsu place if you haven't



Address :
IMM Building
2 Jurong East St.21
#01-19 S(609601)

No comments: