Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tim Ho Wan @ Plaza Singapura

Recently Tim Ho Wan had been the craze here since it started its first outlet at Plaza Singapura not long ago. People queue for hours seriously hours just to have a meal here. To be honest this was my third or fourth attempt of visiting this place before I really get to try it. First time I went was about 11am which was about an hour away from their opening time, oh my gosh, the queue was like a U-Turn type of line. This time I went there at 4pm which is a timing that is neither lunch or dinner. Don't get me wrong, there was still a queue but heng enough, it was just one line. We waited for about half an hour before getting a seat.  

There was seats provided during the queuing time. When its nearing our turn, the waitress gave us the piece of paper whereby we just mark whatever we want to order. They have this rule of only providing you an actual table seating when all the number of people that is going to dine with you is physically there at the queue. Also since it was just my mom and me, we manage to "cut queue" in the sense that we got a seating first instead of this group of 9 person who were in front of us. Yesssssahhhh! Finally its time to go in...but wait a min...we were actually sharing the table with two other strangers. Did not really expected that. It was a table for 4 but two group of strangers are suppose to dine together. I mean like it is not as if it is selling cheap and good dim sum here it is actually pretty high end pricing we are paying for and yet a table of 4 for 2 with another 2 strangers?! So I thought "Ahhh...Don't expect further good service here"

The food came in the following order.

I must say, this Baked Bun with BBQ Pork (3pcs) ($4.50) is sooooo darn good! 6 stars out of 5! Totally understand the craze for this the moment I bite into it after taking photos. Its like a combination of the Po Lo Bao because of this crusty top layer and the filling of piping hot Char Siew is just so delicious! 
This Steamed Egg Cake ($3.80) is like the most fluffy and moist cake I have ever tasted in my life! Really really good it kinda just literally combine with your saliva and just melt down your throat! 6 stars out of 5!

Then came the Garlic, Mushroom, Spinach Dumpling ($3.80). The crystal like skin was really smooth with a little chewy texture. Inside is just pack with spinach and there was this strong fried garlic taste. Totally not complaining since I am a garlic lover. 
Next was the Pan Fried Carrot Cake ($4.50). Even though I don't really fancy those pieces of carrot cake in the typical dim sum list, the difference of this to the other normal restaurant is that there are pieces of shredded carrot which purpose is most probably there to literally let you know "hey you are eating a CARROT cake" hahaha Most probably why this is in the "Big 4 Heavenly Kings" category with the Baked Bun and Steamed Egg Cake

I must say this Vermicelli Roll with Pig's Liver ($5.50) was something really different. The choice of being a little bit spontaneous in ordering this rather than the normal fillings like shrimps or BBQ pork (char siew) was a disappointment. I must say the vermicelli roll was smooth to taste and the pieces of pig liver in it was very generous however vermicelli and pig liver is like a no no combo for me. Sorry, I am sticking with BBQ pork (char siew) filling.


The Prawn Dumpling ($5.50) was pretty normal. Normal like those that I typically try in other dim sum places. The prawn filling was generous and it was definitely very fresh.
From what I know, I think they actually had a take away counter and a SMS system of queue number previously but all was cancelled because of the humongous number of people that visit here.  
When we ask if we can take away, the waitress said "oh we will pass you the Styrofoam box and you can do the take away yourself" something like that. Kinda to go according to the rule of "No Take Away" i guess because when she serve the dim sum she helped us put it in the Styrofoam box. 

I must admit I felt pretty cheated because of all those pictures of the Baked Bun online, it look soooo big like the size of those "Da Bao" but no pictures are deceiving  When they serve the bun I was quite shock and still commented "omgosh its actually so small" because when we were deciding what to order I kept telling my mom it is enough already later cannot finish. Can't blame me since I had this image of how the bun is gonna be so big. Laughs. Its seems as though my hand look so big beside this tiny bun. 

For those who are giving a thought of visiting this place, my advice is that in order to avoid the crazy queue, you will have to go at odd timing where its the lunch or the dinner for other country except Singapore. Don't expect good services also because its just a place for people to eat and go. Did I mention the waitress there kept coming (every second) to either clear the dishes or check the receipt on the table again and again even if there wasn't any dishes that arrive. Its just a very fast pace environment that will influence you to eat really fast and then leave quickly. Still I must say if the take away service is back I will most probably just take away their Baked Bun and the Steamed Egg Cake because I personally think that the rest of the things on the menu is not worth the hours of wait and that amount of money.


Address :
#01-29A, Plaza Singapura, 68 Orchard Road 


No comments: